browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Too much traveling

Posted by on January 2, 2012

By Wednesday we made it to Fayetteville, NC where we retrieved our rig. Friends Tom and Nancy Dreyer manage the KOA there. It’s about mid-point between our two destinations but allows us to renew acquaintances with old friends. By Thursday, we retrieved Robin’s pontoon boat in Santee, SC but found we have some leaky bearings on the trailer wheels that are going to have to be fixed. I needed a post office while there in SC to do some mailing. Asking whereabouts in Santee, I was told to try but it’s hardly ever open. This just amazed me. We did find it by 2 p.m but found it closed for the day. Now remember, this is on a Thursday. We traveled another seven miles to Eutawville only to find this one closed as well. Apparently, working until lunch time is the norm down here and then they call it a day. It is no wonder the US Postal Service is going bankrupt. By Friday morning we were rolling down I-4 near Daytona. We had planned on staying at Wekiva Falls RV as we needed to get some work done in nearby Mount Dora. I had called for reservations, and was told their sites were so large they could accomodate our vehicles, trailer and boat all on site without having to store anything. Beware! When a park claims, ‘big rig friendly’, that only means they are friendly to you, not necessarily does it mean you’ll fit. Workamper Walt drove us around the park to a handful of open sites that were designated for us to fit. After about an hour of searching, jockeying the rig, running the tires over stumps and breathing in the sulfur water, we decided to procure our deposit and head for another park in which we could fit. So we headed west toward our ultimate venue at Yellow Jacket Resort  but found nothing with sites large enough to accomodate. We decide to bite the bullet and continue traveling until well after dark to our final campsite. We would make the two hour trip back to Mt. Dora at a later date in the truck. Driving for ten hours in a day is not my idea of retirement but we decided it was better to do this than to find a Walmart along the way. We arrived mid evening and Stacy, the office host could not have been more pleasant in addressing our needs. We set up quickly and sauntered over to a community firepit where we met with old friends we found here last year and were introduced to some new inhabitants.  It was great to see once again the sun setting on the Suwanee.









Leave a Reply