browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Parting Company

Posted by on January 15, 2010

beachconch Yesterday we all took what is to be our final visit to Gulf Island National Seashore as Deana was in search of shells to adorn their Elkhorn Cafe back in Medora. As the ladies searched the shoreline, my intent was to scour inlets, the backs of sand dunes, the other side of fences and those obscure places where I get lucky with the lens. I got lucky again, spying this shell amidst some wild grasses.

Meanwhile, I noticed Tom chatting with some locals fishing from the shore and decided to join them for some new knowledge. tom-fishermenWe learned quite a bit about salt water fishing in a short time. However, they did recommend to us that before we left the area we had to try “fish tacos”. We rounded up the girls and headed into Pensacola Beach in search of our quarry. As we were cruising the causeway we spotted “The Native Cafe”. cafe-owner I jumped out and went in to see if they could accommodate our penchant. Another lucky choice for me. Inside we met Joyce Brown who is the co-owner along with her son, Jesse. We learned of their venture in opening the cafe, some of the local lore and enjoyed the eye candy on the walls while we awaited the fish tacos. Deana didn’t brave the unknown and opted for the beef nachos. We were not disappointed as it was delectable, made from Mahi Mahi tuna, onion, cabbage, tomatoes and chipotle sauce.


We stayed and chatted until the 3 p.m. closing time. If you’re ever in the area, this stop is a must. I know we’ll be back for the fish tacos. We headed back to the park as Tom and Deana need to pack their rig as today they headed west for the arid climes of Arizona.tomdeanaThey’re headed for Yuma as they enjoyed their stay there last winter. On our return home, we noticed that Brutus was not himself. He has been itching a lot lately and just has that malaise funk about him. We made an appointment with a vet and shall see what plagues Robin’s ‘other child’.brutusDeana suggested we go out to dinner as this would be our final hurrah together for some time. After searching fruitlessly for a steakhouse we chose, (apparently our GPS was in a non-cooperative mood ) we ended up in Fort Walton Beach at the local Red Lobster. After dinner I spent a little time showing Deana how to load photos and music on her new Macintosh and then we turned in. At 7:30 this morning a knock on the door awakened us to another crisp morning. Tom and Deana were geared up and ready to roll. We exchanged our hugs and handshakes, bidding them farewell, knowing that we shall see them down the trail. I spent the remainder of the day chatting with park inhabitants that seem to stop by and ask me about my photography. The ad on the side of the truck apparently is doing it’s job. I’m still in the process of establishing a small traveling business to enhance the income a bit to help with the fuel bill. Another good day in full sun. I’ll get a sunset this evening and hopefully a sunrise when tomorrow opens its vista.

One Response to Parting Company

  1. Debbie

    Beautiful pics, even of poor little Brutus……he’s looking a little down in the mouth…….those puppy allergies can get a puppy down, feel better my furry little friend, and tell your Mommy she’ll feel better after you’ve been to the Doc and you know everything’s fine. Love you to the moon……Auntie D.

Leave a Reply